Sunday, September 6, 2026

09-06-2026 Swim

Slept all through the night, woke up a little after 5:00 and read for a bit before getting up around 6:00. I watched some TV and had breakfast. Eventually I got ready for a swim at the WWC. Headed over there in a very light drizzle, and it sprinkled on me while I waited for them to open the gate. I was a little surprised at how many people were there to swim, lanes were almost full before too long, but I got lane 3. Started with a warmup 500, and I could tell my legs were tired. So I focused on my stroke form. I followed this segment by a 300 using the swim pads, am going to include these more to try and strengthen my shoulders. I followed this segment with two 100s using alternating arms and tap-to-touch with a final normal 25, using the pull buoy. Then I finished with a 500 followed by an extra 150 for good measure, all with the pull buoy to reduce the strain on my sore legs. Here are the times for these segments:

Warmup 500
    9:32
300 with swim pads
    5:44
Two 100s with alternating single arms, tap-to-touch, and standard stroke, with pull buoy
    2:02
    2:00
500 with pull buoy
    9:20
150 with pull buoy
    2:54

I didn't record the second 100 on my watch, so my Strava workout only shows 1525 yds (it probably also didn't capture the 25 yds when I was windmilling the non-watch arm).

Avg pace = 1:55/100 yds (Video)
Total distance = 1650 yds (Video)
Elapsed moving time = 31:32 (Video)
Avg heartrate = 127 bpm (maybe these numbers are right)
Relative Effort = 14 (perhaps)
SWOLF = 37
Avg stroke rate = 20 bpm
Avg pull distance = 2.48 yds

Got home, had coffee and toast while watching some more TV. I was weary and dozed during the TV show. In the early morning I had noticed a big leak spewing water out of a surface line, so I turned the sprinklers off. In the afternoon I had Ann turn the sprinkler on while I watched to see where the water was coming from, then I spliced fresh line in and buried it to reduce sun exposure, which causes the line to be brittle. Later on I pulled the caps from the metal front gate, since the paint was peeling from them. I scraped the paint off and then used wire mesh to remove the rest of the paint, then I primed all of the caps with primer paint, including a second coat on the top. Will let that dry and then paint them to match the rest of the gate, which as far as I can tell was last painted on 10-14-2024. Read for a bit after that task was done, then I talked to Mom in the early evening. She had a great time at Ben's house, stayed Friday night and went to Matthew and Lauren's house for a baby shower for Hannah on Sunday (?). Ben drove her home after the shower, she wanted to sleep in her own bed. Was a decent phone call, she didn't talk too much about her health issues. After dinner I tried to read, aiming to catch up on my latest book, Gregory Benford's Shadows of Eternity. I fell asleep early and then couldn't get back to sleep. So I got up and watched a little TV before retiring for the night.

No comments: