Tuesday, September 1, 2026

09-01-2026 Ride

Slept okay, although I did wake up in the night and have a little trouble getting back to sleep. Woke up around 5:15, read for a bit, and got up at 6:00. I got ready for a coffee ride with Andy and Nel, using my Fuji bike with new SPD MTB pedals. Headed MI there the fast way and got there around 6:55, Nel and Andy were there and waiting. We chatted briefly in his driveway before heading out. Took Bernardo Oaks Dr to the RB Inn parking lot, through there to Sintonte Dr, then up to a left turn onto Mirasol Dr. This got us to Pomerado Rd, where we turned left and headed down to the lake. On the descent we were over 20 mph with Andy in the lead, and a car pulled out out and almost hit Andy. He swerved, and I braked and swerved to avoid hitting the car. Very scary! Nel and I stopped, and I gave the guy the what-for. He was apologetic, and we were all shaken up but uninjured. Andy kept riding, and Nel and I caught up with him at the other end of the pedestrian bridge. He had cal. Ed down a little as well, so we continued riding. Over to the mall and through the parking lot, taking Beethoven Dr to the path through Kit Carson Park. I slowed down to their pace as we took El Ku Ave to Escondido Blvd, eventually connecting to Centre City Pkwy. We rode through town and then turned left on Washington Ave. My mind was still a little distracted, and my right shoe cleat was loose, making it nearly impossible to unlatch my shoe. So I missed the turn to stay on Washington Ave and got us on Hale Ave inst2. Poor road quality and off-track, so not great. We rode up to Auto Park Way and turned right there to get to Mission Ave, where we turned left. I stopped when I got ahead of the others on Auto Park Way and retightened my cleats (they held up through the end of the ride). Shortly after we turned left again on Barham Dr. I got a call around this time from the Gringo's event coordinator, but she was gracious enough to allow me to reschedule our phone call. So no time constraints as we rode to North City and stopped at Christophe Rull Patisserie. Andy ordered a matcha, which they had just added to their menu, so he got the first one ever from the shop. The chocolate almond croissant that we shared was also good, coffee was fine as well. We chatted with Christophe, who came out to talk about the matcha and the upcoming first anniversary of his shop opening. Had a nice chat with the fellas, talking about our kids and instilling in them a good sense about the value of money and savings. Then we headed back, this time taking Barham Dr to Mission Ave and then Washington Ave to Tulip St to get to Valley Pkwy. Left turn there, followed by a right on Quince St. Over to 13th Ave and thus back to Centre City Pkwy, where we headed south. We turned on Citracado Pkwy and then basically retraced our earlier route back to Andy's house. Was a good ride again, apart from the car scare. I rode home via RB Rd to W Bernardo Dr, was an easy pace throughout this ride.

Avg speed = 14.1 mph (14.3 mph). Total mileage = 34.4 mi
Avg power (est.) = 113 W
Total elevation gain = 1590' (1590')
Avg heartrate = 108 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 30 (29)

Got home, Ann was at the beach. I took a call from Chloe at Gringo's and got some useful info about renting the semi-private room in November. Then I worked on fixing some bugs in my cycling analysis program as well as the database creation program. It took a while, but the latest version pretty much works as expected. Had some lunch while I watched TV. The I went out in the garage and adjusted the shifting on my Fuji bike, which was skipping on some of the middle gears. I also put some loctite on the screws holding the SPD MTB cleats to my shoes, hoping to keep them from loosening up on a ride. I started measuring the fence line that needs to be replaced but got a reminder about my physical exam, so I grabbed a quick shower and headed over to the RB clinic of Sharp Rees-Stealy. No issues in the physical, Dr Strouse scheduled some follow-up tests to look for any abnormalities. Then I rode home and finished measuring the fence dimensions. Called a fence company after that and got some preliminary numbers, then I emailed another company to get a quote from them. Watched some TV before and after dinner, then read before settling down.

No comments: