Wednesday, September 23, 2026

09-23-2026 Ride/Hike

Slept okay in the night, straight through to 5:00 after getting to bed later than usual. Then I dozed for a bit before getting up a little after 6:00 and getting ready for a ride with John. I left the house a little after 6:40 and took the standard route there, arriving early enough to do the extra bit on Briarleaf Way and Dapple Way. Jayden was out when I got there, and Vivian came out as well to see us off. I'd planned the route, and it was going to have more climbing than usual. We headed over to Springbrook Dr and up to Angelique St, turning left on Candy Rose Way and taking it up to Cypress Canyon Park Dr. John was taking his time on the climbs, and I waited for him to catch up several times during the ride. We rode up to Spring Canyon Rd, turned right, and continued climbing until the gradual descent to Sunset Ridge Dr, where we turned left and rode down, then up Scripps Lake Dr, where we turned right. It was mostly down from there, on pretty bad roads, to Scripps Ranch Blvd, turning left there and staying on Carroll Canyon Rd (also poor road quality) until turning left on Black Mountain Rd. We stayed on this road through the turn and then turned right on Miramar Rd. To Camino Ruiz, turning right there, enjoying a short downhill until we turned left onto another stretch (not connected) of Carroll Canyon Rd. This new road has a nice gradual downhill, and it was fun to ride down to Camino Santa Fe. Right turn there, and a couple of fairly little climbs got us to Calle Cristobal, where we turned right and rode back over to Camino Ruiz. There wasn't too much of a climb here, but I still got ahead of John and waited for him at the turn. We rode to Capricorn Way, turned left there and used it to get back to Black Mountain Rd. Once again, the road quality on Capricorn Way was not good. We turned left on Black Mountain Rd and took it up to the 56 bike path. I put my bike in its lowest gear and chugged up this climb, put in a decent effort. The sun was out, briefly, as we turned on the 56 bike path, then it went behind the clouds and cooled down shortly after. We rode to Rancho Penasquitos Blvd, turned there, and took it to Poway Rd and then over to Sabre Springs Pkwy. Right turn there, following it to Springhurst Dr and climbing back to John's house via Alpine Ter. I had a gap on John, so I re-did the extra bit on Briarleaf Way and Dapple Way before getting back to his place. Vivian made smoothies for us, and we talked about several topics, including more details of her IVF experience with Jayden. John's neighbor Tim came over and chatted with us briefly as well. Then I rode home the normal way via W Bernardo Dr. I kinda ran out of gas just before the turn onto RB Rd, felt like I had burned through my energy reserves. So I slow-pedaled the rest of the way home

Avg speed = 15.0 mph. Total mileage = 42.7 mi
Avg power = 123 W. Weighted avg power = 155 W
Total elevation gain = 2690'
Avg heartrate = 112 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 45
Training Load = 162
Intensity = 70%

I had some food when I got home and immediately started feeling better. Had just a little time to relax before getting ready for my volunteer shift at the hospital. Had a quick shave and a shower, packed some fruit, then rode over there. I ate lunch in the cafeteria, made the mistake of buying a Clif bar at an exorbitant price. Won't do that again. The shift was unusually busy throughout, with just a few periods of down time. Lots of patients in the ED with psych issues on this day. After the shift I rode home, changed quickly, then met Emily in the gravel parking lot by the park for a hike. We hiked down the hill, across the pedestrian bridge, and then headed west for a bit before turning around at the 30-minute mark. Was a nice walk and conversation, we talked about shared traits of not wanting to be late and getting stressed about it, among other topics (our recent concert visits). Got back to the scooter and rode home after the hike, where Ann and I had dinner. I watched a little TV after dinner, then read for the rest of the evening before turning in.

No comments: