Thursday, September 17, 2026

09-17-2026 Ride

I slept pretty well, waking up a little after 5:00. But I dozed and got back into a light sleep, waking up again around 6:05 and then having to rush to get ready for a bike ride to meet Paula by Harmony Grove Community Park. I mistakenly thought we were supposed to meet at 7:00, so I was late to start. That caused me to push the pace more than usual on the ride over. I also took the freeway, since that's a faster route. Rode up Via Rancho Pkwy to Felicita Rd and took it to Hamilton Ln, where I turned and rode up to Continental Ln, turning there and then using Calle Catalina to get to the top of Gamble Ln. Over to Scenic Trails Way, taking it to Citracado Pkwy and heading down the hill to Harmony Grove Village Pkwy. As I turned left on Harmony Grove Rd and started riding I gradually came to the realization that our meet-up time was supposed to be 7:15. I kept on riding, probably rode about two more miles before I saw Paula coming from the other direction. I stopped and waited for her, then we rode back towards Harmony Grove Community Park, our original intended meeting place. At the top of a rise by the Elfin Forest Preserve, I stopped and loaded up the route, intent on avoiding the mistakes in following our map from the previous week. We rode back to the park and\ stopped there as well to review the route before continuing on. We stayed on Harmony Grove Rd up to its end at Kauana Loa Dr, using that to get to Citracado Pkwy, then over to Andreasen Dr. We followed it through the industrial part of Escondido, not so scenic and kinda rough road conditions. Over to Mission Ave, where we turned right and took it all the way into east Escondido. It was less traffic after we got past Broadway, but the bike lane was okay until then, so all was generally good. No bike lane past there, so we had to watch out for passing cars. Took it all the way up past Midway Dr until we turned left on Paula St. We stopped at an intersection there to take a picture of Paula standing by the street sign. Then we continued over to Lincoln Ave, turning right there and then right again on El Norte Pkwy. We stopped for another pic by the Escondido Creek Trail before continuing on past Valley Pkwy, where the street changed names to Hidden Trails Rd. Paula hadn't been on this road, which has a short, steep climb that gets up to 10% gradient. We took this road all the way to its end, where there was a fire access road that led us down to the neighborhood to the south, on Hidden View Ln. This was a nice little descent to Hidden Estate Ln, where we turned right and followed it to Reed Rd, taking another right. This got us over to Citrus Ave, where there was morning traffic to contend with. A left turn there, then a right on Glenridge Rd, taking us past Orange Glen HS. Over to BVP, where we turned right and rode to Oak Hill Dr, taking a left there. I had been on this road before, used to use it on my rides to yoga at church on Tuesday nights. But it had been a while. We rode up to Rose St, turning left and then right on Kingston Dr. A little climb here brought us to Paul St, where we stopped again and got some pictures of me by the street sign. We then continued up Paul St, turned right on Kenora St and then left on McLain St to get over to Boyle Ave. We turned left here as well, were very close to the Guy's house at this point before we turned right on Destree Rd and took it to Birch Ave. A left turn here took us back to BVP, where we turned right and rode over to Eldorado Dr, another street that Paula hadn't been on. We rode over to Juniper St, more morning traffic to contend with, turning left and then right on Vermont Ave. This got us to Escondido Blvd. My original planned route had us turning left here, but I wanted to shorten the ride and lessen the climbing challenge, so we turned right and rode to Felicita Ave, turning left there. We took this road over to Gamble Ln, turned there and rode to Bernardo Ave. Another right turn got us onto the usual route I have followed in the past to get to the meet-up spot, and we stayed on this route to the park, where we stopped and split up. I was happy we didn't get lost on this ride, with its many turns and unfamiliar streets. I rode home the normal way via Citracado Pkwy and Gamble Ln. On the Gamble Ln descent I rode down without braking at all, and it was both exhilarating and a little scary. One false move and it would not have ended well. I felt much stronger on the return portion of this ride than the previous week. It was 18 degrees cooler, and I was also a little more prepared.

Avg speed = 14.9 mph. Total mileage = 40.7 mi
Avg power = 120 W. Weighted avg power = 151 W
Total elevation gain = 2210'
Avg heartrate = 115 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 45
Training Load = 151
Intensity = 69%

Got home, and I was hungry. I had only eaten a part of a banana on the ride, on the return portion after splitting off from Paula. Ate some cereal and felt a little refreshed. I had a little time to relax, then I showered and cleaned the kitchen before riding over to Los Panchos to have lunch with Earl. I miscalculated my travel time and was a couple of minutes late to meeting him, but no big deal. We chatted about the Barona Powwow, Kelly and Jason settling in to their changed circumstances, and Earl's upcoming intended efforts to declutter his life (good luck to him). As usual it was a good conversation, not as weighty as others but still interesting and convivial. Got home and watched a little TV in the afternoon before meeting a guy from a fence company, who walked the property with me to get an idea of what we want to do so he can send us a quote for the work. Rest of the afternoon was pretty quiet, I did avoid taking a nap. I watched some TV before dinner, then read for a while after cleaning the kitchen. In the evening we drove down to the Sharp Rees Stealy imaging center in Kearny Mesa for me to get a CAT scan of my heart, according to Dr Strouse's instructions. I'm hoping the results are tolerable for future quality of life. Ann drove us home, and it was a quiet rest of the evening.

I finished Bowl of Heaven and started Gregory Benford's Timescape. 

No comments: