Thursday, September 24, 2026

09-24-2026 Ride

Woke up around 5:00, got out of bed around 6:00 and got ready for a ride from home with Paula. I emptied the dishwasher and got dressed for the ride. She showed up around 6:45, and she put her gear on the bike while I finished getting my bike ready. She was using my power pedals for the first time, noticed the larger Q factor. We rode down by the park and then up Pomerado Rd to Bernardo Trails Dr, turning there. From here for quite a while, we were either climbing or descending, and some of the climbs were really steep, none of them steep and long. Left on Polvera Dr following it as it turned into Polvera Ave. This is a nice road through a fancy neighborhood, lots of ups and downs. It eventually brought us back to Bernardo Trails Dr, where we turned and took a steep climb up to Aceituno St. A little more climbing before a nice descent through misty fog, where I startled a lady walking in the middle of the street as I was barreling down a descent. Got on Avenida Maribella, which took us to Camino Ramillette, turning left and then left again on Paseo del Verano. We followed this down by the winery and then used the sidewalk path to get over to Old Winery Rd. Up to Valle Verde Rd, turning there for some more climbing before a descent led us to a left turn on Starmont Way. I hadn't been on this street either. We turned left on Saint Andrews Dr, which had some more significant climbing. It turned into Boca Raton Ln, then into Tam O Shanter Dr. We stayed on this road, which had another short steep climb, until we descended to a turn onto Goodeve Dr. This road took us out of the Valle Verde neighborhood. We turned left on Espola Rd and rode up to Old Coach Rd. I didn't think this road allowed public access, but I was wrong. It descended first and then climbed for around two miles, eventually turning into Deer Valley Estates. We rode to the end of the road, stopped there for some pictures and a break, then retraced our way back to Espola Rd. This was a really cool road to ride on, albeit with lots of either descending or climbing. Back to Espola Rd, turning right and then taking a left on Orchard Bend Dr. Through this neighborhood to Rostrata Rd, where we turned right to get to Martincoit Rd. This is, of course, another short, steep climb, which we took up to Stone Canyon Rd, turning right there. The descent to Pomerado Rd was nice. We turned left and then right on Bernardo Heights Pkwy. My legs were tiring from all of the climbing by this time, but luckily the hard parts were over once we got to Paseo Lucido. We used it to get over to CdN, turning there and following the time trial route home from that point. Once we got to our house, there were only a few more feet needed to get past 2500', so we rode up Azucar Way to cross this threshold before turning around and returning. This was a short ride with serious elevation involved, I'm guessing as Paula planned.

Avg speed = 12.6 mph. Total mileage = 24.0 mi
Avg power = 124 W. Weighted avg power = 162 W.
Total elevation gain = 2550'
Avg heartrate = 110 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 30
Training Load = 124
Intensity = 74%

Got home, made a minor adjustment to Paula's bike to minimize her chain rubbing against the front derailleur cage, then she drove home. Ann was leaving for the gym, so I had some toast and coffee while watched a little TV. Showered and rode over to the Apple building around 11:30 to meet Eric Sweet for lunch. His contract was ending, so he wouldn't be coming into RB for work any more. We walked to the other side of the street and ate at the Apple cafe next to B66. It was the first time for me eating there, and it's a nice vibe. Open only to people with Apple badges, unfortunately. He did most of the talking, primarily about his commute, desired work arrangement, and future plans. After lunch we did a long walk around the buildings by B8 before splitting up a little before 1:00. I was still a little hungry, so I ate some snacks when I got home, watched some TV too. After that I started tackling conversion of a list of WAV music files I had created for the Valentine's Day dance into files with details about the artist, album, and artwork. This is pretty slow going. No real nap on this day, which was good. I watched some TV in the afternoon and kept working on the music files, including after dinner. Then I read for a while before bed.

No comments: