Thursday, September 3, 2026

09-03-2026 Ride/Run

Slept pretty well, no reading in the middle of the night (<>). I was scheduled to meet Paula for a morning ride but didn't have to start as early as usual. Rode my Canyon, hoping that the squealing brake pad issue would not be as bad. Down by the park and over the pedestrian bridge to get to the entrance to the bike path on the mall side. I got there pretty quickly and waited for Paula to show up. She was a little late, ran into some traffic that she had to navigate around. She passed right by me, as she was intent on making up lost time. So I rode to catch up with her, then we rode back to Pomerado Rd and up the gradual climb until turning right on Mirasol Dr and taking this very bumpy descent down until we climbed up to Sintonte Dr. Right turn there, rode through the RB Inn parking lot to Bernardo Oaks Dr (this road is also in really bad condition), taking it all the way to Lomica Dr. A left turn there, then a right on Pablo Dr followed by a left on Nacido Dr to get back to Pomerado Rd. Paula had enough time for a coffee break, so we rode to the Einstein Bagels by Sprouts and had pastries. I also had an Iced Creme Brulee Coffee just because it was at an introductory price. It was very sweet, didn't taste much like coffee. We talked about her kids and their school activities among other topics, including old cars and the possibility of them getting a used car for the girls to drive. Then we headed back to Stone Canyon Rd and took it up to Avenida Lamega, turning left and up to Avenida Villaha, turning left there too. That got us to Bernardo Heights Pkwy but past the steep part of the climb. So we climbed the rest of the way to the top, stopped for a photo op, then rode down to Bernardo Center Dr, where we turned right and headed back to W Bernardo Dr. I was soft-pedaling on most of this ride, again not wanting to stress my legs. I rode with her down the hill there and then stopped at the light by the park, where I turned around and rode home while she continued riding to her place.

Avg speed = 12.6 mph (12.7 mph). Total mileage = 14.6 mi
Avg power = 104 W. Weighted avg power = 132 W
Total elevation gain = 1020' (990')
Avg heartrate = 104 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 12 (12)
Training Load = 50 (50)
Intensity = 60% (65%)

Got home, had a little time to change before heading over to the cafe by the old HP site to meet Gary, Brooke, and John for a chat. No more coffee for me, we talked about some org changes and issues with the new site that are still being worked out. It was a pleasant chat. I rode home after that and put in some fence replacement quotes through Yelp when I got there. Will see how that works. Ate some lunch after that, then I went out in the garage and located my front bike light and its handlebar attachment. I put the light on, will use it more regularly in flashing mode to make myself more visible during rides. Next, I had seen some errors with my cycling database code, so I looked at the code, made some minor mods, and ran it again. Success this time! In the mid-afternoon, after watching  I checked the temperature and decided to go out for a last run before the 5k. The temperature wasn't too bad, but running in the direct sun was noticeably harder. I started slow in the first mile and picked up the pace in the second mile before slowing down a little on the climb back up to the house. Showered and went to Happy Hour at Phil's, talked to JJ about IPOs and some Indigo history. Had dinner after I got home, then I drove to Escondido to pick up my 5k race packet from the Chamber of Commerce building. I mailed the November party invitations at the post office, drove home, and watched some TV before reading for a while.

Avg pace = 8:14/mi
Total distance = 2.22 mi
Elapsed moving time = 18:21
Avg heartrate = 138 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 13

Got home and enjoyed the relative coolness of the house.

No comments: