Thursday, September 10, 2026

09-10-2026 Swim

Slept okay, although I did wake up in the night and read for a bit (<!>). Got out of bed around 6:30 and did a little computer work. No rush on this day, as I was meeting Avi later than usual for a swim. We met up at the WWC at 8:45, had to wait for a bit until a lane opened, as it was quite busy and stayed that way through our swim. We did some intervals after a warmup 500. Here are the times:

Warmup 500
    9:09
Three 100s with alternating single arms, tap-to-touch, and standard stroke, with pull buoy
    1:58
    2:02
    2:06
Three 100s with each successive 25 faster than the last
    1:38
    1:40
    1:42
Cooldown 250
    4:39

I forgot to stop my watch during one of the recovery periods, so the Strava time is off. Also, distance is less because it didn't count two of my three 25s when I was alternating arms.

Avg pace = 1:51/100 yds (Video)
Total distance = 1350 yds (Video)
Elapsed moving time = 24:54 (Video)
Avg heartrate = 136 bpm (maybe these numbers are right)
Relative Effort = 31 (perhaps)
SWOLF = 40
Avg stroke rate = 20 bpm
Avg pull distance = 2.37 yds

This workout felt pretty good, although I was gassed at the end of the fast 100s. Nice water temperature and outside temperature as well. I got gas for the scooter before I rode home. Ann had talked to the guy at the credit union who offers premier banking services, and it should be a good deal for us. I'd shaved the night before, so after showering I was ready for my volunteer shift at the hospital, moved to Thursday because of the previous day's Four Amigos Lunch. Ate a healthier lunch there than usual. It was noticeably busier at the start than usual, same staff with whom I have worked. A guy came in with heatstroke, and he got a lot of attention for quite a while. We don't see a lot of truly emergent cases come in, this was one. I left a little late, had to wheel an ornery old guy to his car by the main lobby. Still got home before 5:00. After dinner Ann drove us down to the Belly Up in Solana Beach for a concert. It was the first time at this venue for both of us. It was Jesse Ray Smith and Cassie B, wit Twilight Highway as the opening act. They were forgettable. Cassie B did a set where she mostly sang her original music. It's not relly my style of music, but she has a big voice, and she knows how to use it. Jesse Ray Smith had the longest set, his music is more to my liking. He's got some weird body motions when he sings without his guitar, but his voice is strong and his songs are better. One of the guitarists and the bass player are from his Music by Eras group. Our seats were in the loft above the stage, decent (not great) viewing, but the sound was muddy, since it was directed at the audience in front of the stage. And we had, of course, a group of young people by us who were more interested in socializing than in the music. It got to be annoying as time passed, particularly in the last music set. By the end of the show we were the only ones in the loft, I guess we should have gone down to the floor but didn't. I drove home, taking care on the dark roads, got back before 11:15.

No comments: