This was not the greatest ride. I slept poorly, waking up in the night as well as tossing and turning while I tried to get back to sleep. I got up around 5:30 and had cereal and a banana for breakfast, then got ready to ride over and meet Paula for a bike ride. Left the house a little after 6:10, headlight and taillight flashing to give me more visibility. It was cool on this ride for about 20 minutes, that was all. Down by the park and then over the pedestrian bridge, using the bike path to get over to Via Rancho Pkwy. I took it up to Felicita Rd, climbing was challenging on this day. Then I rode on Felicita Rd up to Hamilton Ln, turned left and then took a right on Bernardo Ave. Up and then down past the gate, then up to 11th Ave. Down to Del Dios Rd, taking a left and then a right on Avenida del Diablo. To Citracado Pkwy, taking it to Harmony Grove Village Rd and then down to Harmony Grove Rd. I took it over to the park where we were supposed to meet and kept riding for a little less than a mile before I met Paula riding the other way. She stopped, and I turned around to ride with her. We rode back to the park, where I stopped and, for some weird reason, couldn't load the route I'd made in Strava the previous evening on my Wahoo. It didn't show up on the list of possible routes, and I couldn't find my routes on Strava either. In retrospect, I think Strava was having a hiccup at the time. Paula eventually sent me an earlier version of the route, which I was able to load on my Wahoo. We continued, and of course the first thing I did was make a wrong turn (first of many routing miscues on my part on this day). I turned on Riding Trail Dr, then took Starry Night Dr, Trail Blazer Ln, and Trail Ridge Dr to get to Country Club Dr, which I should have taken in the first place. Turned left, then I almost missed my second left turn to stay on Country Club Dr. This road is in bad shape, we stayed on it for just a little bit until turning right on Kauana Loa Dr. Just a little more climbing, then a nice little winding descent to Citracado Pkwy. We were riding pretty much into the sun at this point, and my vision wasn't so great. We got over to Andreasen Dr and took it to Harmony Grove Rd, turning right and riding to the bike path, aka the Escondido Creek Trail, along the drainage canal. We followed this all the way to Quince St, including going under a road and having to navigate through a group of unhoused folks and their dogs. I inadvertently took us off the bike path a street early, wasn't reading my map on the Wahoo well. We rode over to Grand Ave and started heading east. At this point, the map really lost track of where we were supposed to go. It gave me indications to get back to Valley Pkwy and follow the Escondido Creek Trail. Maybe I just wasn't following it well. In any case, we took Escondido Blvd over to Valley Pkwy, then used the two-lane bike path there to get to Broadway, where we stopped for a picture, then turned left. Around Woodward Ave we got back on the Escondido Creek Trail, this time on the north side of the canal. The city has done a good job with the bike path here, it's well-paved, well-maintained, and landscaped nicely. But we were way off route, and Strava wasn't giving me clear directions (I wasn't paying enough attention as well) on how to get back. We ended up taking the bike path up to Rose St before getting off it and then riding back the way we came on Valley Pkwy. It was bad traffic and not a good road to ride a bike on. Strava routed us back to Date St, where we headed south. We stopped and tried to figure out where we were relative to the original planned route, and Paula eventually suggested taking 4th Ave to get to Juniper. Unfortunately, that road had a couple of steep little climbs and descents to navigate, but we successfully got to Juniper St. Took that all the way to Sunset Dr, with Strava regularly trying to reroute me away (maybe because it had an older version of the route?). In any case we finally got back on route, turning left on Sunset Dr and then right on Royal Crest Dr. This little climb is short and not too steep for long, then there is a really nice winding descent to BVP. We turned right at the intersection, then right again on Las Palmas Ave, which took us into the north part of Kit Carson Park. A right turn on Castaneda Dr led us through the park, to Park Dr and back to BVP. I was wearing out by this time, not much left in the tank. We rode to Via Rancho Pkwy, and Paula wanted to follow the original route, which had us doing the climb up Via Rancho Pkwy in morning traffic. I was a little concerned about this part of the ride, but there was generally enough bike lane to ride safely, albeit slowly. I rode behind Paula and just pushed the pedals to stay up with her. Up to the top, then down to Eucalyptus Ave, where we turned right, stopped for a short break, then continued on up this nasty little climb. It was only half a mile at 7%, but on tired legs on a hot and humid day it was a workout. This got us to Hamilton Ln, but again my Wahoo wasn't keeping up with my position. It had us continuing, but we made the right decision to turn left on Hamilton Ln and follow it up to Continental Ln, turning there and riding to Calle Catalina to get to the top of Gamble Ln. From there it was the normal way back to the park by Harmony Grove Village. I rode a little past the park before stopping and turning around. Paula still had the huge task of climbing back to her house, I'm not sure I could have done it in my condition. As it was, I turned around and retraced my route to the top of Gamble Ln, then rode down it to Bernardo Ave, turning right there and retracing my morning route back to I-15. I rode over the freeway, no push in my legs left, then slow-pedaled up the last two climbs to get home. I was wiped out at the end of this ride.
Avg speed = 13.6 mph. Total mileage = 39.0 mi
Avg power = 113 W. Weighted avg power = 147 W
Total elevation gain = 2380'
Avg heartrate = 125 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 78
Training Load = 147
Intensity = 67%
Got home and drank a little soda and a lot of water to help me cool down. Then I had a shower, which also helped to cool me down. Late in the morning Ann and I drove to Stone Brewery to meet up with the Four Amigos and their spouses. Karen and kenda didn't make it. Food was good, service was terrible. It was a fun time, I talked mostly with Ross about his situation with Kenda and Alex, as well as their plans to split time between California and Florida. Ross paid for lunch. After the meeting we drove towards home, but Ann got notices saying our house was without power. It was 109 deg outside, so we headed to the mall to walk around and kill some time. I hadn't walked around the mall in a very long time, it's kinda depressing. We stayed there for about an hour and a half, then Ann got an update that our power was restored. So we drove home. I was exhausted from the morning as well as the poor sleep from the night before. Felt much better after a nap. I watched some TV in the late afternoon. Evening was quiet. The power went off a little before bedtime, while I was reading. Thankfully, it didn't stay off long, so we were able to sleep with the fan on.
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.