Monday, August 31, 2026

08-31-2026 Ride/Swim

Pretty restless night trying to sleep, I'm guessing I had too much caffeine in addition to the nap. I ended up waking up a little after 6:00 and getting ready, slowly, for a bike ride to try out my new wheels. Through the neighborhood via the long way to get to W Bernardo Dr, turning right there and heading up the hill and past the HP site. Over to Bernardo Center Dr, turning right and riding down the hill to test how the wheels felt (they were good). Right on Cayenne Ridge Rd, taking it over to Dove Creek Rd, which I used to get to 4S Ranch Pkwy, turning right and heading up to CSB. Left turn there, taking it up to Nicole Ridge Rd, where I turned left. I rode around that neighborhood and then got back to Nicole Ridge Rd, taking it to Potomac Ridge Rd and using that road to get to PdS. Left turn there, taking this road down to San Dieguito Rd and turning there. Down the hill and over El Apajo and Via de Santa Fe to Calzada del Bosque. I used that road to get over to VdlV, turning left there and riding, not too fast, to ECR. I turned left there and rode partway up the hill to the turn onto Derby Downs Rd, climbing up to Old El Camino Real. I initially turned left but then turned around to see where this road led heading south. It dead-ended into a street with no exit out of the neighborhood, so I rode back up and then down Old El Camino Real to return to San Dieguito Rd. Across the flats and then slowly up the Three Witches climb, just no energy on this day. I got back to CdS and plodded home the new normal way until turning off RB Rd into the neighborhood and riding that way back to the house.

Avg speed = 14.8 mph. Total mileage = 33.0 mi
Avg power = 131 W. Weighted avg power = 164 W
Total elevation gain = 2000'
Avg heartrate = 112 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 34
Training Load = 134

After the ride I had some breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen dishes, then watched a little TV. Next, it was time to do some tasks. I went out in the garage, took my new wheels off and measured the new rotor thickness to be about 1.80 mm. Because I had the issue with my rotor lock ring I took the ones that came with the wheels off and replaced them with the ones that came with my bike. I also measured the old bike rotor thickness values for front and rear wheels, they were 1.30 and 0.93 mm, respectively on average. I was surprised at how much wear they showed, probably won't put them back on the bike. My brake responsiveness is measurably better with the new rotors, just a little grabbing on the front rotor that hasn't resolved yet. A little after noon I talked to Blair, hadn't chatted with him since April. He's doing okay, seems resigned to not working, although I didn't bring the subject of job-hunting up.  After we ended our call Ross texted me, so I called him back and gave him some pointers about how to set up the old Canon Pixma printer on his Windows laptop. Initial efforts didn't work, but I sent him a video that showed how to download drivers and get it working, and apparently that did the trick. I watched a little TV in the afternoon, and read as well. Later on I went in to try and do some cycling analysis code upgrades but got sidetracked updating my cycling database program so it would work with recent changes I'd made to the general code. That took longer than expected. After dinner Ann and I watched some TV, then I read for a while. I also put the SPD MTB cleats on a pair of cycling shoes and installed my MTB pedals on my Fuji to test them out on the coffee ride in the morning with Nel and Andy.

No comments: