Work up early again but slept well. I got up and got ready for a somewhat early start to a ride, to meet John at his house. Took the original normal way over to Poway Rd, then because I had some extra time I stayed on Pomerado Rd until turning right onto Old Pomerado Rd and riding through that weird neighborhood. Up to Scripps-Poway Pkwy, where I turned right and rode, at modest pace, up the hill until turning onto Springbrook Dr and then Springhurst Dr. Still had some time, so I rode down to Alpine Ter and turned there, taking it to Briarleaf Way, to the top of this road, then over to John's place. Vivian and Jayden were out, and Jayden waved us off the start with flags. We headed back to Springhurst Dr and then took it to Springbrook Dr and up Angelique St to Cypress Canyon Park Dr. I had a little bit of a lead on John, so I rode to the top of Angelique St before circling back and meeting him. We rode up to Pomerado Rd and then took it down toward Mira Mesa, turning left on Kearny Villa Rd. This ride ended up being a little longer than I thought it would be, but it was fine. We stayed on Kearny Villa Rd until it turned into Ruffin Rd, then kept on it until turning right on Balboa Ave. This road has a concrete section by the bike path, then asphalt road. As I was riding, I briefly caught my wheel in the gap between these two segments, but I was able to pull the bike out of the gap before going over. It was too close for comfort, a reminder that I need to watch where I'm going more closely, all the time. We rode back to Kearny Villa Dr, turning right there and taking it back to the turn to stay on this road. Up to this point John had been holding his own, but he was getting tired by this time and started slowing down as we rode back by Miramar MCAS. I slowed down as well but gapped him on the last little rise before we turned onto Kearny Mesa Rd to get back to Pomerado Rd. Right turn there and back up the hill. Again, I stayed with John for most of this stretch, but he slowed down on the last climb, so I gapped him again, enough so that when I got to the top I was able to make several loops around that little neighborhood there. When he caught up, we rode back to his house the normal way. This was a pretty big effort for him, but he made it. My legs felt a little tired from the previous day's ride, but I was still okay.
Avg speed = 15.5 mph (15.6 mph). Total mileage = 44.5 mi
Avg power = 126 W. Weighted avg power = 152 W
Total elevation gain = 2370' (2460')
Avg heartrate = 114 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 44 (45)
Training Load = 149 (156)
Intensity = 69% (72%)
I got a fairly detailed summary of their Alaska cruise (bears, moose, orcas, humpback whale, bald eagles, otters, harbor seals), told them a little about our Hawaii trip, then I had to start heading home. Went home the normal way, via Bernardo Center Dr. Legs were fine on this last stretch, but I was glad to be done. I didn't have a whole lot of time, so I ate some cereal (was pretty hungry), shaved, showered, and got ready for my volunteer shift at the hospital. Almost forgot my badge, but I remembered as I made the turn onto Aguamiel Rd. Had lunch there, then started the shift. It was significantly busier at the start than usual, a fair number of rooms needing to be cleaned. Overall, I was fairly busy, had more of a slowdown toward the end of the shift, but nothing else was out of the ordinary. I rode home, was pretty tired by the time I got home, but changing clothes and relaxing in front of the TV before dinner helped with that. Ann and I watched some TV after dinner, then I read some before going to sleep (<!>).
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.