Thursday, August 20, 2026

08/20/2026 Run

Travel day. I slept through the night but woke up early to try and get a run in before it warmed up too much. Was on the road around 6:45, but it was already over 80 deg and extremely humid. I ran through Lake Shadows and then through the adjoining neighborhood to get to Foley Rd by Steele Point Dr. I turned left and ran to a new road, Sundance Pr Dr, that took me over to a small neighborhood of new homes being built near the cove on Lake Houston. Most of the homes are under construction, I don't think any of them are occupied yet. After I ran around this neighborhood I retracted my path and then found a sidewalk that ran by an artificial lake. I got on it, and it ended up taking me into the original Sundance Cove neighborhood, by the new rec center. I had planned on a longer, slower run, and this made it happen. Eventually got back to Foley Rd, which I had to run along for a longer time than I wanted before turning on Steele Point Dr and heading back to the house. Didn't stretch before the run, and I didn't feel any twinge from my right knee during the run.

Avg pace = 8:56/mile (8:43 from Strava)
Total distance = 5.06
Elapsed moving time = 45:12
Avg heartrate = 166 bpm (Amazfit, nope)
Relative Effort = 119 (nope) 

I was absolutely drenched in sweat when I got back, sat by the kitchen table for a bit to cool down, had potatoes for breakfast, and then took a shower. It was a quiet morning and early afternoon chatting with Mom and Ross, even taking a little nap. I left the house a little after 1:00, got gas, and stopped at Schlotzsky's to get a sandwich for the plane ride. Was a little worried about the length of the check-in process, but there was a guy at the counter (Jose) who made it go smoothly and ordered the shuttle to stop by. That took about 20-25 minutes, and it was a relatively quick trip to the airport and through security. So I was at the gate with plenty of time to spare before boarding started. We got on the plane, and it was maybe 5 minutes before the pilot came on and told us we needed to get off the plane so they could change a tire in the landing gear. Frustrating. It was slow getting everybody off, and we ended up waiting about 30 minutes by the gate before they boarded the plane again. Surprisingly, the re-boarding took less time than the first time. Once we got on the plane, they closed the door, taxied out to the runway, and took off, no need to wait in a long line of takeoffs. The flight was fairly smooth, only a little turbulence but nothing major. I ended up being about an hour late from the originally scheduled arrival time. Waited until it was my turn to get off the plane, then I walked through the terminal and over to near the cell phone parking lot, where Ann was waiting. They don't make it easy to walk this way, perhaps because there is still some construction around one of the sidewalks. But I got there. We drove over to Convoy St and had dinner at Tofu House. I wasn't really hungry but ended up eating all of the dish I got. Then it was home, and not too long after I laid down I was nodding off to sleep after another long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment