Monday, August 3, 2026

08-03-2026 Run/Swim

Slept well after getting back from the concert in Carlsbad. I woke up a little after 5:30, laid in bed for a bit before getting up and getting ready for a run. It was still cloudy when I left and just a little humid. Ran down by the park on the normal 5k route, with negative splits for the three miles. I tried to run just a little faster than I have been going, with a focus on gradually reducing my times in preparation for the Grape Day 5k in September

Avg pace = 8:24/mi
Total distance = 3.17 mi
Elapsed moving time = 26:38
Avg heartrate = 129 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 9
https://www.strava.com/activities/19582899979

Got home, cleaned the kitchen, and hung around the house until it was time to get ready for my swim at the WWC. Headed over there, and it was going to be a busy day in the pool, I could see. I got lane 4, Rob Fogarty showed up for the first time, and so we shared this lane for much of my workout. I was clearly out of practice and have lost much of my form and strength in swimming, so there is a lot of work to do. I swam three 500s, the last one with swim fins. Thought I didn't bring my video camera (it was in the other pocket of my backpack), so the metrics are from my watch data as ported to Strava. Here are the splits: 9:35, 9:34, 8:37. My stroke count was also high, basically from the start, for the 1000 yds I swam without fins. I also felt like I was flailing in the water, had to really focus on having my arms enter the water smoothly.

Avg pace = 1:51/100 yds (Zepp, not counting pause to put on my swim fins, chatting with Rob and Howard)
Total distance = 1500 yds (Zepp)
Elapsed moving time = 27:46 (Zepp)
Avg heartrate = 146 bpm (possibly, seems high)
Relative Effort = 37 (possibly, seems high)
SWOLF = 36
Avg stroke rate = 22 bpm
Avg pull distance = 2.35 yds

Rode home from there, the air temperature was just right for being on a scooter. Had some cereal for breakfast, then I loaded the new chain wax into the crock pot and started heating it, to get it ready for waxing a couple of chains. While I was looking at the chain on my Canyon, I noticed that it had a broken inner link (no way to fix this). Had been experiencing some occasional skipping on the ride on Sunday, now I know why. I took the chain off and threw it away. Put my other chain, already waxed Chain #3 (with two MasterLinks), on the bike. Then I took the chain off my Fuji bike, cleaned it, and put it in the new wax bath. After it had sat there for a while, I took it out, let it cool, then loosened up the links and put it back on the bike. I had trouble with the MasterLink (it might be a little bent), so I replaced it with a new one, and that seemed to solve the problem. I took out my unused SRAM flattop chain, cleaned off the factory oils using mineral oil and acetone, then I put that in the wax bath as well. Followed the same procedure and got it ready for swapping out whenever it's time. Watched some TV in the afternoon as well, put a screen protector on my new phone, had a nap. In the early evening we talked to Laura, some about recent travels but mostly about wedding prep. Watched some TV in the evening and then did the dishes.

No comments: