Wednesday, August 26, 2026

08-26-2026 Ride

Slept fitfully, apparently from the big cup of coffee the previous day. I woke up around 3:00, was awake for a while, and finally got back to sleep. Woke up again, finished my latest book, Gaudy Night, then got up to get ready for a ride with John. I took the normal way over there (including going to top of Briarleaf Way and then down to Dapple Ct) but not too fast. Jayden was out when I got there, he wanted us to race around the street before we left, so we three did. Over to Angelique St and then up to the top, where I circled back and rode down to John before riding back up. Right on Cypress Canyon Rd, taking it down to Blue Cypress Dr and turning left there. It's a steady climb up to Spring Canyon Rd, where we turned left and took the gradual climb back to Pomerado Rd. Down the hill, and it was a little sketchy in morning traffic. I rode the brakes (rear brake was squealing) for much of the way down. We continued on Pomerado Rd all the way back to RB Rd. As we were gradually climbing to Ted Williams Pkwy, a rider passed us, and I thought I recognized him as Craig Miller. He was moving, so I was torn between riding with John and trying to catch up to him. I ended up somewhere in the middle, and he caught some lights, which gave me a shot to close the gap. I caught him just past the hospital and chatted briefly with him before slowing down to wait for John to catch up. Then we continued down to RB Rd and got onto the old time trial route. He was pretty slow, I'm guessing he hasn't been riding that much. I stopped several times to wait for him. Eventually, he passed me on the downhill past the high school. He got pretty far in front. I eventually caught him on the climb up to Poway Rd, and I matched his pace to the top. We rode together all the way on Poway Rd back to Springhurst Dr. I stopped to pick up a penny around Oak Knoll Rd, then pushed to catch back up to him. Back to his house the normal way, I ended up doing the same little extra distance on Briarleaf Way as I had done earlier. Vivian made smoothies for us, and on this hot humid day they were particularly satisfying. I chatted with them for a while but not as long as usual, since the day was hot and getting hotter. Because I'd ridden on Pomerado Rd so much, I took the new time trial route back by turning left on Sabre Springs Pkwy. Back to the intersection with CdN, where I decided to go straight and stay on Paseo Lucido all the way down the hill before turning onto Bernardo Heights Pkwy. Home the normal way from there via Bernardo Center Dr. I have been slower in this weather, definitely. My average heartrate is also higher when riding in this kind of weather.

Avg speed = 14.9 mph. Total mileage = 41.9 mi
Avg power = 128 W. Weighted avg power = 157 W
Total elevation gain = 2720'
Avg heartrate = 123 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 66
Training Load = 164
Intensity = 71%

Got home early enough for just a little relaxation time before I needed to get ready for my volunteer shift at the hospital. It was in the 90s when I rode over there, I had a pretty big lunch when I was there. The shift was slow at the beginning but got pretty busy about 2/3 of the way through. I heard that Johnny was recovering from neck surgery, and I met a travel nurse, Lauren, who was pretty nice. Courtney was the charge nurse, she's decent as well. After the shift I walked out to my scooter, and the temperature gauge said 103 deg. It felt really hot on the way home, not that hot but definitely in the upper 90s. Got home and had a little down time before dinner, where I watched a bit of TV. After dinner I replaced a small drip sprinkler head in the back yard and then replaced both sets of brake pads on my Canyon bike. Couldn't get the front pads to be completely free from the rotor, but I think it's close enough. Then, Ann and I watched an interesting documentary about the feud between chess grandmasters Hans Niemann and Magnus Carlsen. It was a compelling and weird story. The rest of the evening was quiet.

I've started a new book, Shadows of Eternity, by Gregory Benford, one of my favorite SF authors from a number of years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment