Thursday, August 13, 2026

08/13/2026 Swim/Run

This was a quirky little exercise morning. Got up after a short sleep, we didn't get home from the concert until 11:50. I slept in the other room for most of the night, didn't want to disturb Ann. Got up a little after 7:00, although I had woken up a couple of times earlier. Packed my stuff up and did a little kitchen cleaning. I couldn't find my WWC card, wasn't sure where I had lost it. So I headed over to the WWC anyway, it was less crowded with swimmers when the gates opened, first day of school in Poway USD. Angela had found my card, so she gave it to me as I came into the club. I got lane 3 and ended up swimming three 500s with brief rests in between. Focused on stroke form and trying to keep my strokes long, with less success on the last 500. Here are the splits: 9:19, 9:20, 9:26. Getting a little better, now I'd like to be able to match these times without the short rests.

Avg pace = 1:52/100 yds (Video)
Total distance = 1500 yds (Video)
Elapsed moving time = 28:05 (Video)
Avg heartrate = 139 bpm (possibly)
Relative Effort = 25 (possibly)
SWOLF = 37
Avg stroke rate = 21 bpm
Avg pull distance = 2.40 yds

Got done with the swim and had a quick dry to put my shoes on, then I stowed my backpack in a locker and went for a run following the usual WWC 5k loop. I was doing fine, focusing on keeping things going where I didn't upset all the good things. I turned the corner on RB Rd and, shortly after, I fell on the palms of my hands and my knees. Palms took the brunt of my weight, and I had just a couple of light scrapes on my knees, no free-flowing blood. I paused briefly, then continued, albeit a little slower and a lot more cautious. My middle mile was the slowest, I think I slowed down after the adrenaline rush from falling wore off. My last mile was the fastest by quite a bit, it also has a net downhill. I forgot my phone case, so I tracked the run using my watch.

Avg pace = 8:00/mi
Total distance = 3.15 mi
Elapsed moving time = 25:13
Avg heartrate = 154 bpm (Zepp, I don't think so)
Relative Effort = 41 (too high to be realistic)

After the run I showered in the locker room, changed, and headed over to the old HP Main Site Cafe to meet Brooke and Gary for coffee. Gary talked about his family, his granddaughter is in her last year of college. Sue continues to struggle with back pain. Brooke filled us in on Stephen's new job at GA, some retirement updates, and a recent reshuffling in management responsibilities between Alberto and Phuong. Was a nice casual conversation that took a while for us to catch up, then I headed home. In the late morning and early afternoon I called Ben and then Ross. Ben is all worried about how Ross being laid off will affect the situation at the lake house. Ross was a little uptight when I called him, they had a frustrating visit to Wells Fargo bank. But he seemed in a decent state about being laid off, it wasn't a surprise after all. We will talk in more detail about his plans when I'm in town next week. I watched some TV and had a short nap in the afternoon, then I went to Phil's for happy hour. Talked a little bit to Nathan and Britt, more to Andy Seitz and Avi. I may be able to connect for swimming with Andy. Ann and I watched TV after dinner, then it was pretty quiet after that.

No comments: