Sunday, August 9, 2026

08-09-2026 Swim

Well, this was a frustrating day, all my fault. I was supposed to meet Charlie down in La Jolla for an ocean swim. Got up early for it, about 5:30, had enough time to do the dishes, organize what I was going to bring, and relax for a while. I left the house a little before 6:30, took the scooter down and made good time. Ran into some fairly heavy fog between the CdS intersection and Del Mar, but it generally cleared up by the time I got to the coast. I rode down to La Jolla Shores, since that's where Charlie and I have met before. I found one of the last spots in the parking lot and then went to look for the "stairs" that I had seen Charlie mention in his WhatsApp message. Got down to the shore, read his message again and saw that it said to meet at La Jolla Cove. Oops, my first mistake. I hustled back to my scooter and motored over into La Jolla village and then down to what I thought was La Jolla Cove (it's actually Children's Cove, and they are different). I called him from there and seemed to verify that I was at the right meeting spot, so I sat down to wait. And wait. No Charlie. I finally tried to call him, but by this time he had left his phone in the car and was by the actual meeting spot. Eventually, I figured I must be in the wrong place, so I rode over to where La Jolla Cove actually is (never been there before). I found a place to park and went to see if I could find Charlie in the water, but no such luck. I sent him a text indicating my mistake and said we should try again. Then I rode home, frustrated at myself for not doing a better job of arranging to meet him at the right place. Got home and took a few minutes to restock my swimming backpack, then I headed over to the WWC to get a swim in. Of course it was busy, and the two lanes with markers were occupied. But I wasn't in a hurry, so I sat and waited until lane 2 opened up. Got it and swam 1500 yds without stopping. Here are the splits for the three 500s: 9:16, 9:34, 9:31. I swam the last 500 breathing every three strokes for the most part. My stroke form is definitely poorer when I swim in this mode, perhaps I am marginally faster. Finished with a sprint in the last 50, so maybe that's why my last time is a little faster than my second 500.

Avg pace = 1:53/100 yds (Video)
Total distance = 1500 yds (Video)
Elapsed moving time = 28:21 (Video)
Avg heartrate = 147 bpm (possibly, seems high)
Relative Effort = 36 (possibly, seems high)
SWOLF = 37
Avg stroke rate = 21 bpm
Avg pull distance = 2.41 yds

Got home and ate some cereal for breakfast, hadn't eaten anything other than a banana. Day was quiet, I had a nap and read a fair amount. I also worked over an hour updating my 2023 event log, slow going. In the early evening we went out for ice cream for dinner at Handel's in CMR. Was pretty good, definitely not healthy. I watched some TV in the evening, then went to bed.

No comments: