Friday, August 28, 2026

08-28-2026 Run/Ride

Went to sleep kinda early, woke up a little before 4:00. I dozed in bed before getting up (<>) and getting ready for a run. I drove over to Grape Day Park in Escondido, parked on a side street, and did a quick stretch before running what I think will be the route for the Grape Day 5k. Took Broadway to Grand Ave and turned right, running on the sidewalks down to Centre City Pkwy before turning around and heading back. Then it was up on Broadway to 7th Ave. It's fairly flat until 6th Ave, then it tilts up and actually gets steep before the left turn onto 7th Ave. I was still climbing after the turn but at a lesser grade until it tilted up again on my way to Grape St, where I turned left again. There is a little crest on this street, it drops down a bit before the right turn onto 5th Ave, where I had to climb again up to the top, at Fig St. I continued a little bit before finding a place to turn around and head back down 5th Ave to Broadway. This is steadily downhill all the way back to Broadway, and my pace picked up as a result. I turned right on Broadway and ran to Grand Ave, turning right again and running on the sidewalks up to Juniper St, where I turned around and headed back again to Broadway. Last right turn there, running back to the intersection where I started. I'm sure I got a little benefit from the run pausing at several intersections with red lights. If I want a shot at placing in the 5k, I'll need to start faster, not slow down as much in the second mile, and go all out at the end.

Avg pace = 7:21/mi
Total distance = 3.17 mi
Elapsed moving time = 23:19
Avg heartrate = 147 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 27

Got home and got ready for a bike ride on (now more) tired legs. Wanted to get the ride in before it heated up, and I was successful here. I rode down by the park and over to Highland Valley Rd, turning there, riding on the flats and up the first part of the climb before turning around and heading back to Pomerado Rd. I was okay pushing the pace on the flats but didn't have much else in my legs when the grade turned up. I turned left at Pomerado Rd and rode up to Stone Canyon Rd, turning right there on a whim and then left on Avenida Lamego. This is an initially steep little climb that took me to Avenida Villaha, which changed to Calle Pueblito after I crossed Bernardo Heights Pkwy. There was a traffic jam on this street as parents dropped their kids off at the middle school. I rode up to Paseo Lucido, turned right, then took a left on Corte Sabio to bypass some of the school traffic. I took Avenida Alcachofa over to Calle Saucillo and used it to get back to Paseo Lucido, where I headed over to CMR. Talked to another cyclist while we were waiting for the light changes at CdN and, after turning onto Rancho Carmel Dr, at CMR. He was heading to C's Ice Cream & Deli in Scripps Ranch, I'm guessing he owns or manages it. I pulled into the parking lot and got a couple of donuts from Sesame Donuts, then I sat and ate them while relaxing. After the break I rode back to Rancho Carmel Dr and then took CMR back to CdN, turning left there and following the new time trial route back home. Was slower on the ride than I'd hoped I would be and certainly more tired when I got home.

Avg speed = 15.7 mph. Total mileage = 20.7 mi
Avg power = 130 W. Weighted avg power = 151 W
Total elevation gain = 1240'
Avg heartrate = 122 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 27
Training Load = 70
Intensity = 69%

Got home, and I was glad to sit down and chill for a bit while chatting with Laura and Ann. Laura was talking about sewing her wedding dress, along with its intended design, with Ann, I had nothing to contribute. So I took a shower and felt much better. Made some iced tea later, then I watched some TV about reviving an 80s Ferrari engine that was pretty interesting. Had a little nap later in the morning while I was reading, then I had a big lunch. We three chatted in the afternoon, and I read for a bit as well. Continued cleaning up my Google Photos storage as well. Later in the afternoon we drove down to the airport through moderate traffic to pick Joe up from the airport. We didn't have to wait too long. Then we drove to Old Town and had dinner at El Sueno, a decent restaurant that was only a little overpriced. Home after that, where the fourof us talked until it was time to settle down for the night.

No comments: