Tuesday, August 25, 2026

08-25-2026 Ride

Slept pretty well, woke up around 5:00 and kinda dozed in bed until I got up at 6:00. I saw a message about the meeting spot for my ride with Andy and Nel and hustled to get ready and leave sooner than I had planned. Rode through the neighborhood all the way around Matinal Circle and then took W Bernardo Dr to RB Rd and then Bernardo Center Dr. Right turn there, taking it up to Bernardo Heights Pkwy and turning left. Another left on Paseo Lucido, where I climbed a little bit to its intersection with Avenida Venusto. This is where I thought I was supposed to meet Andy and Nel, so I sent them a photo and a message. Andy called shortly afterward. Apparently there was a miscommunication about where he and I were supposed to meet (he thought at his house). We cleared it up, and he started riding to our meeting point, which, from Nel's subsequent message, was at the other intersection of Paseo Lucido and Avenida Venusto, by the high school. So I took Paseo Lucido up and over past the high school and met Nel at that intersection, where we waited for Andy to show up. He did, not too long after, and we continued over to CMR, taking it to Rancho Carmel Dr and turning right there. Down the hill and over to the 56 bike path entrance, where we turned and got on the bike path, staying on it all the way to its end. In the morning, this bike path has a number of dangerous intersections, where car drivers are not always watching for cyclists. But we navigated all of them safely and got down to Sorrento Valley, where we turned left on that bike path and back to CMR, turning left and stopping for coffee at the Corner House Cafe. It took a bit of time to get our coffee, then we chatted for a while as the temperature creeped up. It was already more humid than usual, so the ride back home was going to be tougher. After coffee, we retraced our route back to the 56 bike path and took it to CdS, turning right there and then right again onto Torrey Santa Fe Rd. Over to Torrey Meadows Dr, turning there and using it to get back to CdS. We rode over to the Von's shopping center and stopped there for a quick bio break before heading back to CdS yet again and turning left. To CVR, right turn there and up the gradual climb. I put in a little bit of an effort here, suffering some from the heat and humidity. Nel kept on my wheel all the way to the summit, where we stopped and waited for Andy to catch up. Then it was down the hill and back up to Bernardo Center Dr. We stayed on it into RB. Nel turned off at Bernardo Heights Pkwy to head home, Andy turned at Lomica Dr, and I took the normal way home from there via Bernardo Center Dr. It was, I think, 97 deg when I got home. A little bit of a breeze, but no wonder I felt a little bit drained at the end of an easy-paced ride.

Avg speed = 13.9 mph. Total mileage = 36.7 mi
Avg power = 104 W. Weighted avg power = 133 W
Total elevation gain = 2270'
Avg heartrate = 108 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 33
Training Load = 116
Intensity = 60%

Got home, Laura was on her way from the conference, so I had a shave and a shower before she got there. We chatted for a while before heading to lunch at Charm Thai Cafe. Lunch there was decent, and we drove back after that, chatted some more then. I went upstairs later to read for a bit, and Ann and Laura went down to UTC for Laura to return something. Watched some TV in the afternoon. We three had dinner together and talked for a while after dinner, then retired for the rest of the evening.

No comments: