Saturday, October 3, 2026

10-03-2026 Ride

Slept okay but woke up pretty early (<!>). This was a tough ride at the end. I knew it was going to be a hot one, so I left early to get some extra miles in while it wasn't scorching. Through the neighborhood via Duenda Rd and Poblado Rd to Harvest Dance Way, then Autillo Way to Carranza Dr, then Pinzon Way to Matinal Rd. Up to RB Rd, then the extended route through 4S Ranch neighborhood, including riding to the tops of Camino San Thomas and Four Gee Rd. Over to CdS turning right there and then left on Garretson St. Right on Templeton St and over to PdS. I took it to Kristen Glen, turned there and rode down to Paseo Montenero. Over to Haaland Glen and back to PdS. Back to Paseo Montenero, turning left and riding to Via Montenero, turning left there, left again on Wayne Hill, then right on New Park Ter and right again on Casey Glen to get back to CdS. Then I rode to the 4S Target, was early enough to grab a coffee before others showed up. I wasn't expecting many to ride on this day, so I was surprised to see Andy there early. Paula also rode from the intersection of CVR and the 56 bike path. As we were chatting other showed up, so that at the start of the ride we had: Andy, Arnold, Fritz, Paula, Nel, James, Rob, and Kamal. Amazing! Headed down CdS to San Dieguito Rd (SDR), then down to El Apajo. We rode over the normal way to VdlV, then took it to Jimmy Durant Blvd. That stretch of road from cresting the hill on VdlV to just before the freeway is really bad. We took Jimmy Durante Blvd into Del Mar. On the climb Rob and Fritz attacked, but I was able to catch them before the light. We gathered everybody up in Del Mar (except Fritz, who stopped for a bio break), then gathered again for a pic (all except Rob) just before turning on CVR. It was officially hot and dry by this time. We had some shade on the 56 bike path, and Arnold, Nel, and I pushed the pace to the cul-de-sac. I waited for everyone to pass by at this spot, thought James was behind me but he wasn't, so I pushed as hard as I could to catch up. Paula had parked her car at CVR and brought out cold water and ice cream cones. That was a big help. It was so hot, at least 90 deg, that I decided to change the route to CVR all the way back to Dove Canyon Rd. I started behind the others but rode up to the front and then set a pace I felt I could sustain. Wasn't so bad until the climb started before the CdS intersection, and on this climb I was in grind-it-out mode. I gave it everything I had to the top of the climb, and Arnold hung with me. We then rode down to the intersection with Winecreek Dr and waited for the others. Some started showing up, but a group of riders was missing. Eventually we found out that Fritz and Rob had crashed, Rob harder. Kamal rode down and told us he was going to collect rob, who was cramping up and hurting from the crash. The rest of us rode, slowly and carefully, to Dove Canyon Rd and up that last climb to CSB. We turned left there, and it was blessedly slightly downhill most of the way to Nicole Ridge Rd. Took that and Potomac Ridge Rd over to PdS and back to the Target parking lot. It was in the mid-90's at this point. I waited around for Kamal and Rob to show up, he was okay, his hands (no gloves) took the brunt of the crash, but he seemed in decent spirits. After I helped him put his bike in the back of his van, I headed home via RB Rd and W Bernardo Dr. The wind was coming from the east, and it was hot, so not refreshing at all. Was very glad to make it back to the house without any issue, I didn't have a lot left by the end of this ride.


Avg speed = 16.0 mph (16.2 mph). Total mileage = 44.2 mi
Bisikleta route avg speed = 17.1 mph
Avg power = 141 W. Weighted avg power = 172 W
Total elevation gain = 2430' (2430')
Avg heartrate = 130 bpm (Coospo, elevated by the high temps)
Relative Effort = 102 (108)
Training Load = 192 (196)
Intensity = 78% (81%)

Got home and needed some time to cool off and recover from that ride. I watched some NCAA football and other TV, had a lot of fluids to rehydrate. Eventually I rode over to Cotijas and got a bean and rice burrito for lunch (need to make up another batch of beans and rice and stick it in the fridge for these occasions). Ann was home when I returned, I was glad she made it back from the outdoor quilting craft fair in Temecula. Ate my lunch and then read for a while. In the afternoon we talked to Laura to check in on wedding preparations, sounds like lots of wheels are in motion. Later on I verified all of the planned attendees for Ann's 65th birthday celebration dinner on 10-24. Avoided a nap, just closed my eyes for a few minutes in mid-afternoon.

No comments: