I ended up sleeping pretty well, probably catching up from the previous week. Got up after 6:00 and started getting ready for the Bisikleta ride. I didn't have as far to go to the starting point, since we were meeting at Gideon's house. Rode through the neighborhood all the way around Matinal Circle and over to W Bernardo Dr to get to Poblado Rd, then over Capilla Rd to his place. Andy, Zac (down for around a week for a visit) and Perse were already there, and Gideon had set out coffee for us. I had a half a cup, and the others started showing up. On this ride at the start we had the following riders: Andy, Zac, Arnold, Fritz, Perse, Paula, Ray, Jed, and Jed A. It was a challenge to get them riding, since Gideon was trying to keep the party going at his place. I eventually just started riding, assuming that the others would follow. Down the hill to Poblado Rd and right there to get to W Bernardo Dr, where we took another right. We rode across RB Rd, and I got a call from Arnold, who was wondering what direction we had taken. So I stopped to wait for him. Paula and Jed A. passed me, then Arnold showed up, and we rode up the hill past HP and over to Bernardo Center Dr, taking a right there. Some of the riders were waiting around there, along with Kamal, who had ridden from his house to meet us. There was another group that hadn't stopped, and they were ahead of the rest of us. I was in front of the second group on the descent, then I slowed down to let others catch up on the climb on CVR up to Black Mountain Rd. Zac was the only one who caught up, and we chatted as we did this climb at a modest pace. We saw the lead riders ahead of us miss the turn onto Black Mountain Rd (frustrating!), but I decided to keep the rest on our original route. We waited until the rest of the riders made the turn, then took Black Mountain Rd down to Park Village Rd (I had to keep them from turning onto the 56 bike path when we passed it). I stopped at the turn onto Park Village Rd to make sure they all turned there, then I worked to catch them and pass them, to make sure we followed the route. Somewhere on the descent to CdS Zac's friends Keaton and Ella showed up and started riding with us. At the turn onto CdS the other riders who had kept going straight on CVR were waiting for us, but we still weren't all together, since a couple of other riders were out in front. I rode fairly hard to try and catch them, attempting to consolidate the group. I was mostly successful as we made the turn onto the 56 bike path, then we spread out again. Several riders really dropped the hammer on this stretch, and I slotted in to ride with Jed and Ray, attempting to catch up to Fritz and Kamal, who had pushed out in front. We caught them, then several riders pushed forward, and it was a hard sprint back to the intersection with CVR. We frightened a couple of older riders who were coming up the path in the opposite direction, not great etiquette. We gathered back up at this intersection, then continued in a spread-out fashion to the end of the 56 bike path. I was near the back of the group on this section. Another gathering at the end of the bike path, and from there we rode over to PCH via CVR. I was still near the back, although I moved up on the climb to PCH. Zac was intent on setting a Bisikleta PR for the Torrey Pines climb, and a couple of riders rode out with him to try and pace him at the start. I was further back, just trying to set a solid pace I could maintain. On the climb I ended up passing all the others except Zac and Keaton, with Ella not too far behind me. I was pushing pretty hard, started running out of gas near the top. I finished in under eight minutes, but that's pretty far from my PR. Andy didn't do the climb, he ended up waiting in Del Mar for us for a while before continuing on our route ahead of us. The rest of us gathered at the top, and Keaton and Ella rode home from there while the rest of us rode down the hill and into Del Mar. I got out in front, passing others to make sure we all made the turn onto Jimmy Durante Blvd to get over to VdlV. I was at the back after that, and I rode at tempo pace to catch up to the group and do my best to keep everybody on the right route. It was simpler to get back at this point, so I wasn't as concerned. We took VdlV over to ECR and then to San Dieguito Rd. We all started together and had a decent, fast pace line on the flats over to the base of the Three Witches climb. We stopped for a break at the gas station there. It was definitely warm by this time, and I was anxious to get back before it got hot. Up the climb, I was initially riding at the pace of Zac and Kamal, then Zac kicked it into gear and he was gone. I again kept a steady pace and paced others, all of them except Zac and Fritz, who really scorched this climb. Got to the top, where I waited for everybody to make the turn onto CdS. Perse had hung back with Kamal, and I started riding after they turned. Ray and Arnold also waited. We rode to PdS, turned right there and took it up to Babcock St, turning there to get back to CdS. We rode back to near Target, where Ray and I stopped while he placed the order for the pizza. Then it was the old normal way back to Matinal Rd and to Gideon's house.
Avg speed = 16.1 mph. Total mileage = 44.9 mi
Avg power = 143 W. Weighted avg power = 176 W
Total elevation gain = 2730'
Avg heartrate = 132 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 112
Training Load = 218
Intensity = 80%
Gideon had a regular party set-up ready for us when we got back, he was cooking food and had prepared some salad stuff as well. I had a beer and cooled down while we waited for Ray to go and bring the pizza back. There was so much food. I had another beer, stayed around for a bit longer, then rode home via W Bernardo Dr. Got home, it was hot, Ann was having lunch with the church hiking group. I relaxed for a bit, took a shower and felt better after that, had a little nap in the afternoon. Not much accomplished on this day. After she got home, I did take her hair dryer apart so I could clean some of the lint and hair out of the air intake, since she was noticing a burning smell when she used it. The design of the hair dryer didn't allow me to get into the fan section, so I couldn't fix the buzzing sound at high speed. Was a quiet late afternoon and evening, I watched a little TV and read for a bit.
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.