Monday, July 27, 2026

07/27/2026 Run/Walk

Travel day. I slept okay, had some vivid dreams in the early morning before waking up around 5:20. I got out of bed a little later, got ready for an easy run down by the park. Had negative splits on the run but was intentionally slow, didn't want to tire out too much. Ran 5k and walked the short distance back home. I ate some cereal and toast for breakfast, then started putting my stuff together in my overnight bag and backpack. The I got to packing stuff into the car. It went fairly smoothly, everything in except the food, then I had a shower. Loaded the bike up, then the food, then I checked my personal camping checklist, which reminded me to bring gloves and a head cover for riding. We were rolling just before 8:30, a little later than I would have liked but probably right. Route had us going to I-5, I'm guessing to avoid the mess on I-15 by Temecula and Corona. A little traffic at the 78 intersection, then it was smooth sailing all the way into Orange County. We ran into traffic, obviously, as we drove through LA, slowed us down overall by about 30 minutes, I'm guessing. Stayed on I-5 all the way, heading up to Lebec, where we stopped for a bio break, gas, and lunch. We ate at a little Mexican food place near the Jack in the Box that wasn't too bad (service was a tad slow), then we were on our way again. I kept driving down to the 99 and through Bakersfield. We turned off the highway not too long after this and ended up taking some serious back roads, possibly to save us time. By this point, we had stopped for another bio break. And Ann had taken over driving. So she got the worst of driving on the very winding and, at times, narrow roads. It was slow going because of the roads, we ended up getting to Azalea Campground a little before 4:30. It's a nice campsite, maybe a little close to our neighboring site. I set up the tent and vestibule, blew up the air mattress and put sheets and a sleeping bag on it as a quilt, then set up the stove and camp chairs. Walked to go to the bathroom and find water, it's not as close to the site as I would like. Got ready to sit and enjoy a beer, but there weren't any cold ones. I was peeved at this, had to go walk around the campground loop to cool down. I probably walked for a little over half a mile
Then I had some wine and relaxed as we started dinner. Food was simple but plentiful, nourishing, and easy to clean up after. Quiet rest of the evening, doing some reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment