Not the best sleep. I woke up in the night, was a little warm and probably feeling the effects of a nap and caffeine the previous day. Read for a bit, was able to get back to sleep, but I woke up again in the early morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Decided to get ready for my bike ride and head over to the starting point early enough to have coffee before the others showed up. Got all my gear set up and headed out a little after 6:00, plenty of time to arrive at Peet's Coffee down by CdS and the 56. Through the neighborhood and over to CSB to get to Dove Canyon Rd and down to CVR. I pushed up these little climbs faster than I have been riding, was feeling pretty good. Rode down to CdS and turned left there to get to the shopping center where the Peet's is located. I had a coffee and sat outside to enjoy the cool weather while it lasted. Humidity was noticeably higher than usual. Ray also showed up really early, had some oatmeal and coffee from the shop, and we chatted about work/life priorities. Others also started showing up, I think everybody was there before 7:30. On this ride, we had: Ray, Perse, Jed, James, Rob T., and Kamal. We left the parking lot around 7:35, a good thing on this day where the temperature was expected to climb. Over to the 56 bike path and then down to its end. Ray was feeling strong on this day, so he and I spent a fair amount of time leading the others. We got to the end of the path, having ridden pretty fast, and I stayed behind to wait for James. That got the others significantly ahead of me. I rode over to CVR and pushed to get up to PCH. Paula was riding with the Swamis women group, I saw her at the corner by PCH and gave her a wave as I worked to catch up to the others heading north. They were waiting at the entrance into Del Mar, but I hit that light, and they took off again. So I had to push hard again to try and catch them. James had picked his pace up, and he wasn't too far back from me after I caught the light. We rode to VdlV, some of the riders were waiting for us there as we continued on PCH. I passed them and tried to catch up to the leaders, thinking that Rob was still out front. Eventually we settled into a pattern with Ray and me in the lead and the others following back. There was a guy on a tri-bike who we kinda matched speeds with. We would catch him on little climbs or if we had enough space to exceed his pace. This went on all the way to La Costa Ave, where we turned around and started heading back. Stopped for our break at the usual 7-Eleven, thankfully it was a little shorter than it normally is. Kamal had to replace one of his shifter batteries, and that was successful. After the break we headed south on PCH, and Rob was riding harder than usual. We retraced our route back through Del Mar. I put in a bigger effort on the little rise into Solana Beach to catch and pass Rob. By this time, the others had dialed their efforts back, presumably due to the heat. We rode to CVR and used it to get to ECR, heading north there up to Del Mar Heights Rd. I was a little concerned about the climbing on this road, since I was also tiring and feeling the heat. But I gapped the others on these climbs, with Rob back a little ways from me. We turned left on CVR and waited for the others to make the turn as well, then we rode up to Rancho Santa Fe Farms Rd to get back to the 56 bike path. Everyone was tired by this time, so the little climb back to CdS on the bike path was anticlimactic. I got out ahead and tried to keep my pace steady, passing a number of other non-Bisikleta riders as an incentive to push harder. Then it was back to the parking lot where we started. I stayed around for just a bit before continuing on my way home, again wanting to minimize being out when it got hotter. Home via CdS, PdS, RB Rd, and W Bernardo Dr. I had some energy left for this last stretch, but I didn't overdo it. Felt fine when I got home, hungry (I didn't eat nearly enough on this ride) but not sore or tired.
Avg speed = 17.2 mph (17.3 mph). Total mileage = 57.6 mi
Bisikleta segment avg speed = 18.1 mph
Avg power = 153 W. Weighted avg power = 178 W
Total elevation gain = 2660' (2820')
Avg heartrate = 132 bpm (Coospo)
Relative Effort = 132 (132)
Training Load = 254 (262)
Intensity = 81% (84%)
I've been feeling sluggish on rides recently, so it was good to log a workout where I put in a bigger effort and didn't suffer as a result. Got home and ate a little bit (including one of Joe's big protein bars) while watching some TV, but I didn't feel super hungry by this time. Had a shower and felt better after that. In the afternoon I fixed a FIT file input issue I'd run across while trying to implement putting directional arrows on my plots (with a lot of help from Claude). Eventually got it fixed. It's not perfect, but it should be generally good enough. I'll wait to see if I run into any future file input problems. The directional arrows coding is now working, although one improvement could be to increase the density of the arrows as the map plot size zooms in. In the late afternoon we drove down to Mission Valley to park and take the trolley to SDSU for a concert. I dropped Ann off at Fenton Pkwy and tried to find a place to part there, but there was a soccer match that evening at the stadium, and parking on the streets was nowhere to be found. I ended up driving to the Rio Vista shopping center, lots of spaces there and no clear signs about not parking there if not shopping. So I parked there and walked to the nearby trolley station. Waited a bit for the trolley to show up, it was jam-packed with soccer fans, but I squeezed in and texted Ann to do the same when the train came to her station. We both got on and got to SDSU station without incident. Had a little picnic in the green space near the concert venue, then we walked to the show. I wasn't sure how many people would show up, but the amphitheater ended up being packed. There were three acts: Colony House (featuring a couple sons of Steven Curtis Chapman), Dashboard Confessional, and The Fray. The opening act was decent (for an opening act). The fans were really into the second and third acts. I don't think I clearly recognized any of the Dashboard Confessional songs, but it was an enjoyable set that didn't go on too long. For The Fray, I recognized all of their songs from the first two albums and none of their other material. Their lead singer, Joe King, was not the original voice of The Fray (that was Isaac Slade, who left the band and apparently runs a record store in Washington now). He was energetic, not as well-voiced as the original guy but good enough, I guess. Fans were also into their music from those initial albums, everybody sang along to the big hits. There was a family with younger kids sitting next to us who left after the second act, not sure why that was. The family of four right in front of us had a dad who was perhaps a little too enthusiastic for the situation, but it wasn't out of control. Concert ended about when it should, well before the 11:00 curfew. We left as the drummer was singing a Beatles cover, poorly, so good call there. Didn't have to wait too long for the trolley to arrive, and we got back to the car with no issues, similarly for the drive home, back by 11:45.
No comments:
New comments are not allowed.