Wednesday, July 22, 2026

07-22-2026 Swim

Woke up around 6:00 after a late previous night. Still, I felt fairly refreshed. I did some blogging to capture my thoughts from the Ed Sheeran concert, then got up and started getting ready for a swim at the WWC. Rode over there on a fine morning, a few people were there, but when the gates opened there were a bunch of folks. I had learned from my mistake on Sunday, so I was standing by the gate and was among the first ones through when they opened it. Got my preferred lane, but the pool filled up quickly. I swam three 500s, with a brief pause in between. Focused on having a longer stroke, and I'm still not as fast as I was. Here are the splits for the three 500s, the last one with a pull buoy: 9:46, 9:51, 9:26.

Avg pace = 1:56/100 yds (Video, not including pauses)
Total distance = 1500 yds
Elapsed moving time = 29:03 (Video)
Avg heartrate = 163 bpm (nope)
Relative Effort = 80 (nope)
SWOLF = 38
Avg stroke rate = 20 bpm
Avg pull distance = 2.41 yds

The pool was really hopping when I left. It will be difficult for a while to get longer workouts in, since so many people are waiting for a lane to swim in. I rode home and had some toast and coffee for breakfast. Had plenty of time in the morning before I shaved, showered, and got ready for my volunteer shift at the hospital. Nothing productive done though. The shift was unremarkable, although there was a dead person in one of the rooms. My room-cleaning responsibilities don't cover that, so I occupied myself elsewhere. The ride home after the shift was pleasant, not too hot, with a nice breeze. Got home, changed, and had dinner. I watched some TV after dinner and read for a whe before turning in (<>).


Finished reading Apple: The First 50 Years, by David Pogue. It was interesting reading about some of the revolutionary development programs (Apple II, Mac, iMac, iPod, iPhone, etc.), and Steve Jobs came across as a once-in-a-generation genius and visionary. The book was a touch too sycophantic, especially further along in the history.

No comments: